Thursday, March 25, 2010

5 books that have most influenced me

Apparently a number of bloggers are compiling a list of their most influential books, so I'm going to join the club.

No chronological order, I should point out:

1. Indispensable Enemies by Walter Karp. This is a deeply cynical view of politics that everyone who follows politics should read. He also wrote a great book called The Politics of War.

2. The End of Faith by Sam Harris. While I don't agree with everything he says about religion, (only the bad not the good are discussed) it did put me on the path that would make me a nonbeliever soon afterwards.

3. Mistakes Were Made (But Not by Me): Why We Justify Foolish Beliefs, Bad Decisions, and Hurtful Acts by Carol Tavris. This has ignited a sudden interest in psychology; since reading this I have read numerous other books on the subjects and taken some classes in school.

4. When Markets Fail by John Cassidy. A convincing attack on market fundamentalism. There's also a great book by Joseph Stiglitz on the same subject called Freefall.

5. A Many Colored Glass by Freeman Dyson. He is my favorite scientist to read. He explains scientific concepts such as climate change better than anyone I have read.

I wanted to get 10, but for now this will do.

No comments: