Wednesday, February 10, 2010

e-mail I sent to LA Times columnist

I sent this to Jonah Goldberg, a conservative columnist for the LA Times. Original column: can be seen here.


You mentioned the snowstorm in Eastern U.S.A.; I assume we're supposed to draw the conclusion that climate change/global warming is a hoax. I see this argument on Fox News all the time, so it seems to be a conservative/ Republican talking point. I don't mean to be rude, but why don't conservatives understand the difference b/w weather and climate? (To be fair, Al Gore often exploits hot weather to prove g.w., but conservatives seem to make this specious argument more often than liberals.) But what about the record hot temperatures this summer throughout the U.S.A., or even a record high in the Northwest for January? I would hate to accuse you of cherry-picking. There were a number of deaths in Brazil today from intense heat--why doesn't that prove global warming is a legitimate threat?

No comments: