Saturday, November 21, 2009

How about some rationality in this debate?

This column by Steven Chapman is the most intelligent take I have read on the subject since the health care "debate" began. This paragraph is on the money:

"Anytime you get a body of individuals that go beyond me and my doctor who are going to make decisions about what kind of health care I get, that's rationing of health care." (Quote is by Michael Steele, Republican national chairman). But as long as someone else has to pay for those decisions, someone other than doctors and patients is going to make decisions about what treatments are worth the cost. (My emphasis).

So when you hear conservatives complain that government involvement in health care will put a bureaucrat between the patient and the doctor, explain to them that's already happening. The only solution to third party rationing that might work is eliminating third-party insurance completely and having patients pay doctors directly. I don't see that happening.

No comments: