Sunday, December 07, 2008

Liberal intellectual establishment takes control

A must read at MSNBC.com: Academic elites fill Obama's roster. For the next four (at least) years we will be ruled by what Noam Chomsky calls "the liberal intellectual establishment." If you're looking for any real diversity of viewpoints, abandon all hope. As the article says: "Of Obama's top 35 appointments so far, 22 have degrees from an Ivy League school, MIT, Stanford, the University of Chicago or one of the top British universities." This raises the question: does an Ivy League degree truly confer wisdom upon its recipient? I know what my liberal friends will argue: It couldn't be worse than the last eight years! Perhaps, but my standards are a little higher than most. Change? Well, if by change you mean a return to 1993, I suppose you're right. It looks like Bill Clinton's third term, minus a few Arkansas cronies.

3 comments:

rodolfo said...

I understand your concerns. But I voted him in because I trust his judgement. The change that will be most welcome will be the hiring of competent ideologue-free officials. Where he gets them from I don't really care. A guy like Obama making decisions is a world of a difference *better* compared to what we've had these past eight years. This country is lucky to have him. Let's see after the first thousand days.

Jack Davis said...

But why should we trust his judgement? Just curious...

rodolfo said...

I guess for me he spoke the truth with two things I found most irritating in our country: Iraq and hyper-partisan politics.

He seems like a sensible and intelligent guy. If people want to count his *associations* as bad judgement then fine but I think overall he's been pretty sharp so far.