Monday, October 27, 2008

Obama supporter makes great case against him

I highly recommend this blog. The blog is written by a brilliant man, Melvin Konner, who is an anthropologist,professor at Emory, an M.D, and author of numerous books, most recently a history of the Jewish people. Like me he doesn't like either candidate. But he is very reluctantly voting for Obama. (I am endorsing Chuck Baldwin of the Constitution Party). But, in the blog explaining his vote for Obama, he makes very strong criticisms of the Democratic candidate:

Obama, I believe, is not ready to be president. He is objectively the least experienced nominee for president in over a century. He has said much, but done very little. He has policies and rhetoric, but no experience. He went to Harvard and excelled there; he gave up a chance at a lucrative law career and did good work in the streets of Chicago. I know many people who fit this and similar descriptions. This doesn’t qualify them to be president.

He served as a state senator and performed acceptably. He was elected to the U.S. Senate in an easy race and he did practically nothing in the Senate before he began the all-consuming run for the White House. His greatest accomplishment by far is winning that race (so far), and I don’t find that reassuring.

As for his eloquence, I find it rather empty. I am not persuaded that he is capable of standing up to the truly evil men in this world, and I am not persuaded that he is a true friend to Israel. With the exception of his initial opposition to the war, I think he has been wrong on Iraq for years now. I think he is foolish to propose negotiations with Iran at the level of the presidency, and I doubt that he has the resolve to do what may be necessary to prevent Iran from building a nuclear weapon.

I agree completely with Dr.Konner's assessment of Obama, though I wish he would join me in voting third party. I would urge anyone voting for Obama to read those paragraphs.

3 comments:

Rodolfo said...

What I'm expecting from an Obama presidency is that he'll actually listen to my concerns and pool all available information from all sides before making a decision.

Ron Paul and his supporters are in danger of becoming ideologues. They preach free market fundamentalism to the choir without convincing anyone in the middle. Like you I consider myself neither conservative nor liberal. I don't need to hear the incessant virtues of the free market when I'm already a capitalist.

It's time for new ideas. Take it from my main man Lincoln:

“The dogmas of the quiet past are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty, and we must rise with the occasion. As our case is new, so we must think anew, and act anew. We must disenthrall ourselves, and then we shall save our country.”

Jack Davis said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jack Davis said...

"Ron Paul and his supporters are in danger of becoming ideologues."

No, you're too generous. They are ideologues now. In fact, I wrote a review on Amazon.com on Paul's book, giving it only three stars, and I was deluged with hostile comments from his supporters.Great quote from Lincoln, by the way.

1:30 PM PST