Thursday, February 23, 2006

"Liberated Iraq"

Most of you by now have heard of the recent bombing of the Shiite mosque and the brutal reprisals of the Shiites against Sunnis. Many of you may not have heard of the following activities by Islamic extremists in Baghdad, courtesy of Paul Garwood of the AP:

Barbers are being killed for for cutting beards and removing facial hair. Why? Well, radical Muslims consider removing facial hair "unIslamic." Also, religious extremists have been blamed for bombing liquor stores and for killing DVD vendors that show scantily clad women or modern Western music (horror of horrors!).

There are other examples of Islamic violence in the article-I would post a link but I can't find it- but I think the point is made. I draw two pretty obvious conclusions from this story:

1. Invading Iraq was really a huge mistake.
2. I think the myth of Islam being a religion of "peace" has been finally obliterated for all time.

The country is on the verge of civil war. Wasn't-if I recall correctly- the argument against withdrawal was that the country would descend into chaos if U.S. troops left? I think that ship has sailed. It's time to withdraw from Iraq. Our presence there is doing no good.

No comments: