Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Air America no more?

Apparently, the liberal Air America radio network is going bankrupt. This is hardly tragic, but it is somewhat surprising. Apparently, they're not good enough, smart enough, and goshdarnit, people don't like them. Seriously, I don't completely understand why they are in such bad shape. True, most of the hosts on Air America are dull, very partisan, and have completely predictable views on every issue. But so are the vast majority of "conservative" talk radio hosts (e.g. Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity), yet these hosts are extremely popular. I can't adequately explain this anomaly. I would not automatically assume that Air America's failure proves a liberal radio network can't succeed. My guess is that Air America has not marketed itself well and isn't getting enough advertisement money. One would think some rich leftists (where are you, George Soros?)would get together and bail it out, but apparently that hasn't happened.

I personally don't care if Air America survives, as it adds little of value to the public debate. My advice to them would be simple: find a liberal who thinks for himself like Jonathan Chait (a shameless plug for my favorite liberal columnist). This won't happen, so I bid Air America a less than fond farewell. With any luck, Al Franken will return to Saturday Night Live and give me some reason to watch that show again.

(For those of you who didn't get the joke in third sentence, watch Al Franken's character Stuart Smalley on a Saturday Night Live rerun and you'll understand).

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bloggers beware
So junior college students drunk on cyber-freedom and hotheads with strong opinions about ethnicity have been held to account for certain of their Internet postings.
Find out how to buy and sell anything, like things related to music on interest free credit and pay back whenever you want! Exchange FREE ads on any topic, like music!

Anonymous said...

I never cared for the programming on Air America. It just doesn't seem entertaining. .

Chris said...

It's my guess that Air America will be bailed out from some rich liberal. If not, then I agree with you and won't lose any sleep over it.

Personally I have never listened to Air America. I couldn't tell you one thing about it. I do not think Air America is the mode from which opposition to the current administration should be concerted. In other words, being the polar opposite of anything Bush is retarded.

Likewise, I do not pay attention to the drug-addicted Limbaugh or crazy man Hannity either. And O'Reilly just reminds me of a disgruntled employee. People who get their politics from entertainers scare me.

From what I understand, Air America is the left wing of the Democratic party. And also from what I understand, is that the last time the American public elected someone from the left wing was FDR, and even that can be argued FDR was really not all that far left; just instituted change. So maybe the last time a left winger was elected was Lincoln. I'm off subject, but you are correct, the left wing does not appeal to a vast majority of Americans.

Jeff Fecke said...

Air America is fine as far as it goes, but realistically, it was never the future of "liberal talk radio," whatever that is. The success of conservative talk radio has been built one show at a time, usually syndicated--Hannity and Limbaugh don't share a network.

If liberal talk radio is to have a future--and I think it does--it will be in individual syndicated shows that "break out" a la Limbaugh and local liberal talk show hosts who succeed in their own markets.

Anonymous said...

I found your blog while surfing and noticed you are involved in a business opportunity.

I found a website the other day that offers thousands of dollars in free business building tools that might help you build your business.

Find FREE - 60,000 email leads, AutoResponder, Promo Page, Your listing in a hundreds of world directories, Your best ad on 12 Million FFAs, Self-Replicating Search Engine Program, Auto Hits Machine, eZine Success, & more!.

I'm making over $500 a day with these FREE Business Building Tools promoting my business and you can do the same promoting your business.